If you're in the start up phase and have to hire new employees, what steps can you take to hire and
- This should be a no-brainer, but you need to hire the "right" people. To do that you need to know what you expect of them and their specific roles. Don't try to fit the "perfect" person into a role just because he or she may seem perfect on paper. Hire to fill the role you need filled.
- Make sure your people are empowered to do their jobs. Sure there will be a training period, but once they've progressed past that timeframe let them do their jobs. Plain and simple.
- If your employees don't understand your business's mission and vision, how can they be expected to carry it out?
- Talk to them. Just as you talk with your upper management, you should talk to those on the shop floor as they are integral to your business's success.
- Offer feedback. Constructive criticism is welcomed by most people if it will help them do better at their jobs. Offer a criticism that also provides a way for them to improve.
When is the last time you talked with your workforce to see how well they're doing and how happy they are?