Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

There’s No Place Like Home

My wife and I just got back from a trip to Europe. We saw some beautiful things like riverside castles, 500-year-old churches and architecture that do not exist in the United States. Great to visit but frankly, we both were glad to get back to our home and country.

Giving it a bit of thought, I recalled that while these countries (France, Germany and the Netherlands) have more history, it is the Untied States that had led the world in creating some of the most used systems and technology in place today. Yes, a lot of basic important scientific research and engineering was developed by
European geniuses, but it was America that put it to use.

It was the United States that setup the first time zones in 1883 to standardize local times for the railroads. It was the United States that setup the system for calling internationally (we are country code 01). Henry Ford developed a system for mass production. We also developed the Internet. I could go on, but I prefer not to toot our horn too loudly.

Each of these countries is great in their own way but I couldn’t live in them. Nice people and good wine and food. They are just not my country.


We may have problems here that may seem to be unsolvable but I have faith that we will come to solutions that will work for us. Our court system is the envy of the world. It may not be perfect but I defy you to find one that you’d prefer instead. Freedom and democracy are much harder to live with than dictatorships and other central control type governments, but we are up to the challenge.

Fortunately, my wife and I didn’t have to click our ruby red slippers to get back home. All we had to do is get on an airplane that by the way uses the aviation control concept the Wright brothers invented and demonstrated to the entire world in 1903 in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. USA.






No comments:

Post a Comment